- This event has passed.
Adult Trauma Informed Yoga
October 1, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 12:00 pm on Thursday, repeating until January 7, 2021
This group will provide a container for people to come together and learn tools to safely feel what is present in their bodies. For folks who have experienced trauma, it is not uncommon to disconnect from what they are feeling and experiencing as a means of survival. Unfortunately, even when folks are in “safe” situations, their bodies may continue to believe it is more efficient and necessary to be in “survival mode”.
Trauma-informed yoga can give people skills to navigate, discern, and feel empowered to make choices for what their bodies need. It offers people a chance to practice listening to the signals in their bodies while feeling connected to a community. The opportunity to practice these skills in community may lead to experiencing greater support, a sense of compassion, and a stronger ability to navigate feelings and needs in relationships.
In this group, we will practice down-regulating yoga with the context being that when folks have experienced some form of trauma it is important to learn skills that can soothe the nervous system, decrease stress, and increase awareness by practicing poses that are calming and help with self-regulation.
This group could be an ongoing weekly group, but it could also be one that is 6-8 weeks in which we build on curriculum starting with an introduction to yoga and ending with a deeper understanding of yoga.
Benefits of this group:
– builds community and reflects compassion
– strengthens the mind/body connection
– provides autonomy when needed/wanted (due to virtual group classroom)
– improves health (lowers pulse rate, improves circulation, increases oxygen flow, decreases stress hormones, eases the nervous system,…the list goes on and on) – builds a larger window of tolerance
– experiences co-regulation in support to learning more self-regulation and distress tolerance skills
– increases self-acceptance and non-judgment
– improves mood and emotional awareness
– develops a self-care practice
– teaches awareness of states of reactivity
– empowers people to feel a sense ownership or relationship to their bodies
**For adults, 18 years of age or older
**Groups are limited to 12 slots
**Most insurance accepted (including OHP)
**Cost is $72.00 per 90 minute session
**For more information: talk with your current therapist